Monday, December 1, 2014

Mr. Jones (2013) - Horror/Thriller/Found-Footage


Rating: 5/10

Summary: A filmmaker Scott (Jon Foster) and his photographer girlfriend Penny (Sarah Jones) move into a secluded town to work on their relationship. But, things change when they realize their neighbor is the famous "artist" Mr. Jones (Mark Steger). They then decide to change their focus and make a film about him, until things start getting strange.

I am a huge horror fan, unfortunately scary movies aren't so scary to, therefore I am extremely critical when it comes to horror films. Mr. Jones, like most others, wasn't too memorable to me. The only thing that made it exceptionally interesting was the plot and turn of events that took place at the end; where the antagonist wasn't at all that. Unfortunately, he ending was not made clear enough and became too hard to follow. Even after looking through various synopsis I still found it hard to understand the
ending. This is where the film lost me, have there been various Mr. Jones' and that is what Scott had become? And what was the significance of the sculptures affecting people in the way that they did? It was clear that they forced people to have terrifying nightmares, but other than that why had Mr. Jones sent them out into the world? This may just be me missing some points of the film, regardless it made the film difficult hard to follow as much as I did actually want to understand.

As for the acting; I was not impressed. As far as horror movies go, it didn't have the worst acting but the actors were not amazing performance wise. The problem, I think, lies with the story. The main characters Scott and Penny were hard to relate to and sympathize with because of their actions throughout the film, ex: Breaking into Mr. Jones' home, Scott stealing the baby sculpture that, and I'm
just taking a wild guess here, seemed like it was put there for a reason and really it seemed absurd for him to even think about taking it. Also the fact that Penny was not at all fazed by Mr. Jones when they were up close and personal. It seems hard to believe that someone would not be terrified of someone who has created such macabre pieces of "art," which to me often times looked like human remains. She did not even question the strange, quiet, and extremely creepy man who, also, took their car keys? For some reason that didn't seem at all suspicious to her.

Overall, I was not impressed with the film but it was fairly entertaining to watch. There are better horror films out their definitely, so I would only recommend this one if you have nothing to do and nothing else to watch. Maybe watch it late at night in the dark to make a little scarier, or if you're easily scared don't do that. I don't know I'm not your mother. As far as found-footage films go, the idea is original, interesting, and far more entertaining than paranormal activity.


No comments:

Post a Comment