Sunday, November 30, 2014

Falling Overnight (2011) - Drama


Rating 10/10 **Diamond of a film**

Summary: The day before Elliot (Parker Croft) has to have brain surgery to remove a tumor, he meets (Chloe). Together they spend an entire night going on little adventures until it is time for Elliot to tell Chloe the truth and they are left with the question, what now?

It is very rare to find a film that physically and emotionally moves you. Falling Overnight is one of those. Before I really go into it I would like to say, this movie may not be for everyone. It is a low budget Indie movie, which I happen to be a sucker for (most of the time those turn out to be my favorites). By the end of the film I had cried about three times. Throughout the movie I felt like someone was tugging at my heart strings and I kept getting pangs in my chest, at one point I even got
butterflies. I even started to realize I was smiling through some parts. When the movie ended my hands wouldn't stop shaking and every other film I watched that night didn't even seem worth it. It is extremely rare that a movie does this to me, the last time I was effected this greatly was when I saw Her when it came out at the beginning of 2013. I am 100% when I say, this movie is a diamond in the rough.

I'd like to begin with Emilia Zoryan. I have never seen her in anything before, so I didn't know what to expect from her. Let me just say, I could not be more pleased with a performance. Emilia emanated on screen. She shined and had the most enchanting and charming personality. She made Chloe real. Chloe was no longer a character she was a person who   was vivacious, and effervescent, she was genuine. Her acting was captivating and behind the
personality I still felt like there was more, some kind of backstory to this two dimensional character. Emilia's performance was so enticing she made it seem like her character was more complex than she actually was, and that is an incredible thing, she was given something and she ran with it. I don't think anyone could be Chloe except for Emilia Zoryan, it is impossible to imagine anyone else doing a better job.
Parker Croft also was impeccable and commendable. He made me love Elliot from the beginning, this sad, lonely, sick character who may possibly have hours to live. Though Parker plays Elliot as shy and laid back behind his eyes you can see panic and the fear of someone who doesn't know what is in his future. In fact, whenever the future is mentioned you see all happiness fade from his eyes, and he loses himself for a moment. It was almost like Parker was actually in Elliot's situation and was feeling what
he had to endure. And finally in one of his final scenes he loses his cool and performs one of the most heartbreaking scenes I've ever seen. His crying and emotion is genuine, it is not just someone trying to put on a good performance, it is someone actually feeling something. In that very scene he goes from being an actor to being an artist, a human being who is in pain. His performance was moving beyond words and one of the best, I think, in film.

The actors' ability to make the dialogue believable and real make the film as amazing as it is. While watching I had to think, "There's no way any of this is scripted," because it was so real. It made the film more authentic and honest to see two people on screen that seemed like they were
having an actual conversation that average everyday people would have upon meeting. The magic of the film comes from their interaction. They have an onscreen chemistry that is so strong you can't help but feel what they are feeling for yourself. Everything about this film is honest and sincere, when you watch Elliot and Chloe you're not just watching you are along for the ride and you are invested, and you fall in love as they do.

The soundtrack and cinematography are up to par with the actors and dialogue, and continue to add to the genuineness of the film. The director was careful to only add music in places where people were listening to music unless absolutely necessary in a limited amount of scenes. Even then the songs fit perfectly and are so touching it wouldn't matter where they were used, song choice was A+ when considering the soundtrack.

I highly recommend this
film to anyone and everyone. As of now it is the best film I have seen so far and definitely my #1. It is a true diamond and rarity, it evokes so much emotion that isn't just boohoo sad, it's a complex film that brings out complex emotions that are hard to imagine unless you truly feel them. Please watch this film it is so incredibly underrated, and deserves so much more credit that is actually has gotten. I promise you will not be disappointed.



No comments:

Post a Comment