Saturday, November 29, 2014

American Beauty (1999) - Drama

Rating: 10/10

Summary: Lester Burnham (Kevin Spacey) becomes obsessed with his daughter Jane's (Thora Birch) best friend Angela (Mena Suvari) while having to endure a boring life and loveless marriage. Meanwhile, Ricky Fitts (Wes Bentley) and his family move in next door consisting of his homophobic father, and his mother who suffer's mentally.

"My name is Lester Burnham. This is my neighborhood. This is my street. This is my life. I'm 42 years old. In less than a year, I'll be dead." This is one of the first lines in the film, and let me just say when you know from the beginning that the main character is going to die you know this is going to be some psychological whodunnit movie. Spoiler: it most definitely is that kind of movie.

Let me begin with Kevin Spacey as Lester. He did an amazing job and I was definitely cracking up at the majority of the things he said and did in this film. His pitiful emotionless life made me feel so sorry for him yet I took so much pleasure out of watching it. Lester's character development was incredible, he did a complete 180 and went from being a total loser to being a douche bag/someone I envied because he eventually become so confident and carefree. But I also hated him. He reminded me of another Humbert Humbert, totally obsessed with a young girl he believed to be his soulmate. I found it disgusting that a grown man could become so obsessed with someone so young and not yet matured, but I still found myself rooting for him, strangely enough. By the end of the film my hate had disappeared and I gained a sort of respect for him, almost an admiration. Overall, his performance was A+ and I don't think it could've been any better.

Now, the only other movie I had seen Thora Birch in was Hocus Pocus and she was about nine years old then, so I really did not know what to expect from her. I was 100% not disappointed with her performance, I actually thoroughly enjoyed it and think she did brilliantly. Jane is a totally relatable character with her insecurities, low self esteem, and zero self confidence, and I think Thora portrayed her perfectly. I love the way her character developed, and how by the end she finally became her own person and stopped wanting to be like Angela. To me it seemed almost like Lester and Jane were mirror character's, going through the same problems, and making the same developments, ultimately coming to term with themselves and each other by the end of the film.

Mena Suvari played Angela as the perfect little bitch. Cocky, self absorbed, flirty, and selfish with a hint of self esteem issues and a pretend sex life. Angela is another Lolita only aware of what she is doing and the game that she is playing. From the moment she realizes Lester's feelings she begins her puppet show and strings him along until she realizes that he is going to get what he wants. Then to no surprise does the audience realize, her sexual adventures were a lie, she needs attention to make herself seem extraordinary, and, shocker; she is a perfect little virgin. As unlikeable as Angela is, I found myself feeling sorry for her, and came to understand why she is the way she is. And just like Lester and Jane, her character made extreme developments, Angela became another mirror of the mains in the film.

Finally for my personal favorite, Wes Bentley as Ricky Fitts. I was completely in love with the character Ricky Fitts. Everything about him entranced me, his way of thinking, the way he saw the world, his depiction of beauty, everything. I loved his carelessness and the way he actually cared, and his boldness, and how straight forward he is. I was absolutely in awe watching him. Not to mention he is incredibly gorgeous. Of all the character's he was the only one I felt did not need any development what-so-ever. I thought he was as close to perfect as it could possible get. Wes Bentley did an amazing job at making Ricky as attractive yet strange in a way.

Overall the main character's were phenomenal, and the actors did an amazing job with their portrayals.

As for the cinematography, which can always make or break a film; it did not disappoint in the slightest. I thought it was beautiful and as visually pleasing as possible. Just like almost all of my favorite movies it had that symmetrical feel to it, everything was centered, balanced, and extremely precise which I personally thoroughly enjoy.


The storyline had me guessing the entire time; who exactly killed Lester? And it was also one of the those films I wanted to just keep going. I didn't want it to really end, I wanted to keep watching the character's lives unravel and I wanted more secrets to be revealed,

Ultimately the film was brilliant, I would say whatever type of movie person you are this is something everyone will enjoy. Everything about it was just incredible and it is most definitely a 10/10, A+, highly recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment