Saturday, November 29, 2014

Mr. Nobody (2009) - Romance



Rating: 10/10

Summary: Nemo Nobody (Jared Leto/Toby Regbo) is the last mortal man on earth, dying at the age of 102. He decides to reevaluate his life with a journalist deciding whether he made the right decisions in life.

I would like to start this by saying, I was extremely hesitant to begin watching this film, I don't know why but I really was just reluctant to do so. I had tried watching it once before and only got about two minutes in before I changed my mind. Honestly I should've watched it all the way through the first time
because, oh my god, this film is so wonderfully good. It's extremely confusing, and the end will blow your mind and cause you to have an existential crisis, I know I did.

Jared Leto was basically perfect, I am a huge Jared Leto fan, have been since 30 Seconds to Mars and Requiem For A Dream, so it came as no surprise that I loved him as Nemo Nobody. Coincidently, I am
also a Toby Regbo fan, so of course, I loved him as Nemo as well. I thought they both did brilliantly, especially Toby, he was perfectly emotional and sad and lovable. However the actors are not what made me love the film so much.

The storyline was complete and utter perfection, or should I say story lines. Now let me admit, I did have to read a few synopsis' before I really fully understood the movie and even then I had to go back and watch a few scenes before I fully understood it for myself. If you haven't seen the film, don't read this the rest of this, and also go watch it because it's really worth your while.

MAJOR SPOILER'S:

Now what I got from re-watching the film and reading about it was this: Nemo was living all of his
lives at once. When the journalist says, "You can't live two lives at once, they can't all be true," he was wrong and Nemo actually had lived all the lives. The film is basically discussing the principles of the chaos theory, mainly the butterfly effect and order/disorder chaos.
If you are not familiar with the chaos theory here it is: 

  • The Butterfly Effect: This effect grants the power to cause a hurricane in China to a butterfly flapping its wings in New Mexico. It may take a very long time, but the connection is real. If the butterfly had not flapped its wings at just the right point in space/time, the hurricane would not have happened. A more rigorous way to express this is that small changes in the initial conditions lead to drastic changes in the results. Our lives are an ongoing demonstration of this principle. Who knows what the long-term effects of teaching millions of kids about chaos and fractals will be?
  • Order / Disorder Chaos is not simply disorder. Chaos explores the transitions between order and disorder, which often occur in surprising ways.
Now chaos implies that everything is happening all at once, that simultaneously we aer living hundreds of thousands of different lives in different dimensions and universes all at once, and that is what Mr. Nobody is exploring. It also makes sense of Nemo and the narration he is doing for the documentary in the film, everything he is saying adds clarity to the film and what is going.

Ultimately, Nemo wasn't just a senile confused old man, he really did live all those lives he lived, only he was aware, but all his lives revolve around and change the moment he decides whether he wants to be with his mother or father, causing the first branch off of story lines (2 story lines). From there if he
goes with his father he will either be with one girl or the other, or he will go into a coma (4 story lines). If he goes with his mother he will ALWAYS  love Anna, but he either will or won't end up with her (6 Story lines). Nemo also promises to take one of the girls' ashes to Mars and so he does (7 story lines). Overall he was living seven different lives, and remembering them all.
This is what makes the film so incredible. There are seven different story lines going on, the entire time you are trying to decide which one is true, and you come to realize, they all were. Which begs the question, how many lives are we living right now? Do our lives break off into another storyline with every decision we make in some other universe?

Overall I highly recommend this film it is truly amazing in every way 10/10 HIGHLY recommend COMPLETE MUST WATCH.

No comments:

Post a Comment